Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book Review: The Art and Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual

I have just finished The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual by Victoria Mixon. 
If you are a writer, this must be on your desk.  Must.  Go. Buy it.  Yes, I mean right now!  Hit that Amazon link and get to clickin'! 
The best way I can describe this is that it is like having a tutor right beside you.  Victoria's voice is clear, funny and informative yet personal at the same time;  it's like she's sitting right beside you, reading your mind, anticipating your questions, voicing things you knew you knew and encouraging you onward!  Every time I paused to read some of Victoria's book, I want to highlight, note and then drop it in favor of writing.  And you know, when I finished, I thought, WAIT how am I going to find that one note I made?  Will I have to go back and scan and scan to find it?  But no, because of course, Ms.Mixon thought of everything: there's an index.  Yay! :)
Topics covered: character, dialog, tension, plot, writing moods, and punctuation and grammar (an invaluable resource!)

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book! Yet another one put on my Amazon WishList. Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review. Definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Be a dear: don't spam me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...